Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Exterior Thought

I wonder what it is that makes us spend to much time judging ourselves before the mirror. I don't have the same thoughts about others around me, in fact, I cannot remember the last time I carefully inspected the way back pockets were arranged on another's pants, where someones belt buckle seemed to bulge under their shirt or how another's sleeves revealed or covered her ever so womanly arms.

I see women out and about dressed to the nines - 3-inch heels, seven designer jeans, a flowy forever 21 top.. all the numbers one might expect to add up to a perfect 10 and yet, what do I notice about this women after I get past her impeccable exterior? That she avoids the glances of others either because her chin is held to high or here eyes are cast to the ground, that she doesn't joyfully chat with all the people around her but rather seems to be on the defensive against unwanted attention, and she doesn't smile - how is it that in the midst of a perfect image she can be perfectly unhappy with herself or those around her?

So if those who go before me, those with the perfect body shape and clothing to match don't seem settled in their skin, what makes me think that that, as an ultimate goal would hold different results for me? Rather, I think it is yet another phantom source of gratification which distracts me from where I should be looking first - within.

I remember, one of my favorite guys in high school was light-hearted, always fun to be around, kind, thoughtful and carrying 150 more pounds than any of the varsity football players. He had a huge personality and a large exterior to match.. Yet, I never seemed phased by his exterior, in fact, I found it to be both disarming and welcoming at the same time. That same guy has worked hard to drop the extra 150 pounds and then some, but I can only pray that he didn't lose that incredible personality that he carried so well.

I am inspired by those who see where they are in life and regardless of circumstance find humor, courage and above all joy. I want to seek out those sources within my own life.. I want to own them and carry them well, regardless of the hand bag I'm toting and how well my shoes may or may not match it.

No comments:

Post a Comment