Sunday, August 8, 2010

Reality Check #2: Trauma Center Emergency Room

Friday, August 6th marked the mid-point of my EMT course. That night one of my roommates, Charis, and I drove out to a major California trauma center for the 11pm - 7am emergency room shift. We were blown away by what we witnessed..

Over an 8-hour period we saw 4 patients with various gunshot wounds, 1 patient with blunt trauma to the head with a possibility of a subdural arachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding between the brain and its protective layer that stores cerebral spinal fluid), a multiple stab victim and various other traumas. We stood in the trauma pods and watched medical professionals assessing and treating conditions we've only read about. Seeing real people going through this type of triage and trauma process was quite an education.

As we drove back after virtually no sleep for 2 days, I reflected on the fragility of life. I will not be able to see the ER the same again.

This week holds more coursework, tests, scenarios and studying. I'm thankful for continued opportunities to see the grace of God in the midst of my coursework and medical rotations. Asking for strength and retention this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment